Thursday, February 13, 2014

Have you ever held a gold medal?

One of the many hats I wear as a teacher is that I am also the ASB Advisor. This position is very time consuming but EXTREMELY rewarding as I get to work with the cream of the crop of our students within our program. These kids are the leaders of our school that truly want to make a difference and embody the characteristics of exemplary students. Recently, we were asked to make a presentation to the Springs Board during their board meeting. My kids were amazing!! They stood with poise and represented our school and their efforts well.

After their presentation, the entire meeting was introduced to our keynote speaker, Dain Blanton!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? Beach Volleyball Olympic Gold Medalist from the 2000 Sydney games is speaking in front of our students. Here I am trying to be composed and not be star struck in front of my students but the minute he said, "I would like to allow you all to touch and see my gold medal," I about peed my pants and lost it. I was giddy!! I mean, come on!! It's not everyday that you get to meet an Olympian, particularly one in the sport that used to consume your every being AND hold a gold medal. It was truly one of the coolest experiences of my life and I will never forget it!

This is me trying to keep it together...after I about clawed it out of students hands and sat like an impatient little brat. I did not set a good example...I know!
 

My students were pretty pumped too.

No comments:

Post a Comment